16 Jul

UPDATE COVID 19 Disaster Payment for NSW residents

The Federal Government announced yesterday that they will bring forward payments to eligible workers across the first seven local government areas (LGA) in New South Wales that had to go into lockdown (ie residents in Bayside, City of Sydney, Canada Bay, Inner West, Randwick, Waverley and Woollahra).  Eligible workers will be able to apply for the Federal Government’s increased COVID-19 Disaster Payments from Thursday July 15, enabling payments to be made today Friday, July 16.

The rest of Greater Sydney region under lockdown and right across NSW can make an application from Sunday July 18, enabling payments to be made from Monday, July 19.

Payments of $600 a week will be available for those who have lost more than 20 hours of work, and $375 a week for those who have lost between eight hours or one day and 20 hours of work. Payments will start to be paid the day after application.

Payments will then be reoccurring on the Thursday for Bayside, City of Sydney, Canada Bay, Inner West, Randwick, Waverley and Woollahra, and Sunday/Monday for the remainder of NSW for subsequent weeks.

You may be able to get the COVID-19 Disaster Payment if all of these apply:

  • you live, work in or visited a Commonwealth declared COVID-19 hotspot subject to a state or territory restricted movement order
  • you had paid employment and because you were in the COVID-19 hotspot or are subject to restricted movement, you can’t attend work on or after day 8
  • you’ve lost income on or after day 8 and don’t have any appropriate paid leave entitlements
  • you aren’t getting an income support payment, ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Dad and Partner Pay or Parental Leave Pay
  • you’re not getting Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, or a state based pandemic payment
  • if you’re claiming for a period prior to the third week of lockdown, you have liquid assets of less than $10,000.

You may not need to meet liquid assets rules from certain dates. Read more on NSW eligibility rules rules  via this link https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/individuals/services/centrelink/covid-19-disaster-payment/who-can-get-it/nsw-eligibility-rules

For eligible workers in the 7 LGA’s:

You can claim up to 3 payments of COVID-19 Disaster Payment for parts of Sydney. The dates you can claim each period from are:

  • 1 July 2021 for the first period 1 to 7 July 2021
  • 8 July 2021 for the second period 8 to 14 July 2021
  • 15 July 2021 for the third period 15 to 16 July 2021.

You will need to submit separate claims for each of the 3 periods.  However, when you claim for the third period, Services Australia will ask for your consent to make automated payments for any future periods. If you agree to this, you’ll get a payment each time a new period becomes available without making a claim.

For the rest of Greater Sydney

This payment is for eligible people who live, work or visited Greater Sydney, the Blue Mountains, the Central Coast or Wollongong. 

Residents of Greater Sydney can claim up to 2 payments of COVID-19 Disaster Payment for the period Sunday 4 to Friday 16 July 2021. You can apply for a payment from:

  • 4 July 2021 for the period 4 to 10 July 2021
  • 11 July 2021 for the period 11 to 16 July 2021

You will need to submit separate claims for the 2 payments.  Please note that you can only make a claim a payment for either parts of Sydney or Greater Sydney, not both. If you think you’re eligible for both, you will need to decide the relevant claiming period that is best for you.

If you’ve been told to quarantine or you’re caring for someone with COVID-19:
You may be able to get the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment if you can’t work and either:

  • a state or territory health official has told you to isolate or quarantine because you’re a close contact of a confirmed case or have COVID-19
  • you’re caring for someone with COVID-19.

You can only receive this payment if you’re not receiving any other income support payment.

How to claim:

The simplest way to claim is online at www.my.gov.au.  In order to make the claim online, you will require a Centrelink Customer Reference Number (CRN) and also a myGov account that is linked to your Centrelink account. 

If you do not have a CRN or a myGov account, please visit Services Australia website (www.servicesaustralia.gov.au).  

 If you wish to discuss any of the above matters, please do not hesitate to contact our office.